Hormonal Acne Help!

About 18 months ago, I came off the contraceptive pill and ever since my skin has been awful. I was really hoping it would sort itself out over time, but I feel like I have given it enough time and it’s just not getting any better. I really don’t want to go back on contraception, even though I know this would sort it out…

I have tried the usual, Ceraves and La Roche-Posay, but nothing seems to budge the acne. I have heard good things about skin+me but wasn’t sure if it was all hype?

I have combination skin and will try anything!

2 Likes

Probably not very helpful but from my own experience I think the best you can do is go and see a dermatologist. My acne also got really bad at the end of last year and I was trying lots of different stuff on it and only made it worse. After getting proper treatment it was mostly gone after 2 months so definitely worth it! x

2 Likes

1000% Paula’s choice - it’s sorted my skin right out. I bought this set to try it first…

I could only get in store but you can buy separately if not - Paula's Choice Breakout-Fighting Bestsellers Kit | Space NK x

2 Likes

If the acne is caused by unbalanced hormones, then doing something to help re-balance them should clear the acne…I had exactly the same after coming off the pill and weekly acupuncture massively helped! x

1 Like

If it’s possible, go to the doctor and have your hormones checked. If not, try excluding some triggers for few weeks to check if you get an improvement. That is dairy, alcohol, sugar , anything that can mess with your hormones. Add more sleep and less caffeine. Unfortunately hormonal acne takes a lot of discipline and this is not something you want to hear in festive season:-(

1 Like

Have a look at Equi - it’s an incredible supplement that was actually started by a woman who suffered with post-pill acne. Really, really good. A high-quality omega oil could also help, Bare biology’s liquid is the strongest on the market - I take it daily x

2 Likes

I completely agree with you Aggie, and would also suggest seeing a dermatologist. They will be able to provide the right medication (if needed) and prescription topical cream.

I would highly recommend Dr Sam Bunting and the dermatologists she works with.

Good luck and wishing you all the best Eloise.

1 Like

I swear by the skinaccumax tablets, they are pricey but amazing because they contain DIM which is great for hormone regulation (you could also try DIM alone). I also LOVE anything Environ. They have an amazing mask for acne prone skin.

I had a very similar experience after removing the coil and read the book in the Flo which was super informative about food/lifestyle tips to keep hormones balanced.

1 Like

I highly recommend The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension. It’s the only thing I’ve found to budge my acne

1 Like

I really love the exuviance gentle cream cleanser, clinisept spray for acne and dr Sams moisturiser ! Tried and tested so much stuff and I feel this is the best stuff. Dr Sams skincare is so so good

1 Like

I suffered from pretty bad hormonal acne for about 2 or 3 years due to endometriosis. I tried so many different things but in the end the only thing that worked for me was my acupuncturist putting me on a course of Chinese herbs specific for this kind of skin ailment. He told me the skin was the most difficult thing in the body to work with and it might take 6 months, which it did, but after 6 months it cleared completely and has never come back since. I really recommend.

1 Like

I’d say definitely do give skin+me a try! They have really helped with my skin. Maybe just try it for a couple of months an see how you go, you can cancel anytime. It wont break the bank either! :wink:

1 Like