Safari Chic?

Tips on what to wear on safari (will be February in SA so generally warm in day, cold at night), without buying a whole new wardrobe but still chic/practical.

It’s very cold on drives in the am. Fleeces are everywhere so good timing. Anine Bing has a couple of nice ones as do Uniqlo. Their base layers and down layers are great too. Cargo pants / chinos / you can def wear jeans on drives and denim shorts during the day. You’ll want covered legs. Linen shirts and shorts during the day. Neutral colours. It’s pretty relaxed but take layers!!

2 Likes

Thank you!! Super helpful.

Hi! We just got back from SA and did safari for 3 days. Definitely recommend fleeces and a beanie hat for the early am drives. And keep a hat in your bag just in case for the evening drives after sunset when it cools down again. Even when it’s warm out it can be very breezy in the jeeps especially when driving through big open spaces. The wind is lovely when you’re by the pool but can feel quite cold when you’re driving around in an open side jeep! I wore mainly athleisure wear - Sweaty Betty leggings or chinos and a t-shirt/vest most days with a fleece and packable raincoat. Layers are your friend!

1 Like

South African living in London and I would agree with the other two replies. I would say the must-have items are;

• Waterproof/packable jacket
  • Hat (warm and for the sun)
  • Neutral or dark coloured layers as the weather can change quickly.
  • Leggings are great and super comfy as can be sitting for 3 hours per drive.
  • Closed shoes/trainers
  • Chic sunnies always make every outfit look good
  • Bag to keep spare layers, hats, binoculars, tissues (in case you have to do a bush wee!) etc on the drives

In between drives swimwear, kaftan, and something to cover up in for lunch. If you are planning on going on any walks during the day would also suggest leggings if you are walking through long grass so you don’t get bitten by ticks.

In my experience, you do not normally change for dinner after the evening game drive and often sit outside around a fire for dinner. So no need to bring additional dressy evening/dinner clothes.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

Thank you!!