Barcelona - 40th birthday

Hi, I am off to Barcelona for 3 nights this month to celebrate my birthday with my husband - where would you recommend to stay hotel wise and go for dinner to celebrate?

I was looking at Whittmore or Bagues hotel?

I have been before but quite a long time ago!

3 Likes

The Hoxton is in a great location and has a nice rooftop pool with a Mexican restaurant for tacos and tequila! Otherwise Casa Bonay is so cool and fairly affordable

1 Like

Hey there, and happy early birthday! Barcelona is such a vibrant city, and it’s fantastic you’re heading there to celebrate. Both the Wittmore and The Bagues are fabulous choices.

The Wittmore is tucked away in the Gothic Quarter. It’s got a really chic, exclusive feel with a stunning courtyard and a rooftop terrace that’s perfect for evening cocktails. The rooms are plush and the overall vibe is very much ‘secret luxury retreat’

Hotel Bagues is also in Gothic Quarter and is housed in a historic building that was once a jewellery workshop. The décor is elegant with a touch of opulence, and there’s a fantastic rooftop bar with views of the city. The rooms here are beautifully appointed, and it’s right on Las Ramblas so you’re in the heart of the action.

For a special birthday dinner here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Disfrutar - If you’re into avant-garde cuisine, this is the place. The restaurant holds two Michelin stars and offers an innovative tasting menu that’s both a visual and gastronomic delight. It’s a dining experience you won’t forget.

2. Tickets - A more playful and informal approach to tapas, but no less delicious. It’s run by Albert Adrià, a borther of Ferran Adrià of El Bulli fame. The atmosphere is lively and the dishes are creative takes on traditional Spanish flavours.

3. Moments - Located in the Mandarin Oriental, this two Michelin-starred restaurant offers a sophisticated and modern Catalan dining experience. The ambiance is elegant and perfect for a romantic celebration.

1 Like

I went to Bar del pla when I last when and had such a delicious meal, get quite busy so would recommend booking

1 Like

Thank so much for these great recommendations :smiling_face:

The W Hotel. Beautiful location, spa and the Rooftop Bar. We stayed there in a private suite. Amazing. Romantic.

1 Like

There are some lovely suggestions in this feature: https://sheerluxe.com/culture/travel/city-breaks/how-spend-weekend-barcelona

I stayed at the Hoxton when I went and would definitely recommend it there. The staff are really lovely and helpful, bar staff were happy to make suggestions for cocktails - if you enjoy x then you’d like y etc. The Four Corners restaurant they have there does Detroit style pizzas that are SO tasty (not very Spanish, but I couldn’t resist!). Also thought it was a good location for walking to places, but I suppose that depends how far you want to walk!

Food wise:

Raó was wonderful- I’d recommend booking as a lot of people were turned away whilst we dined.

Bar Cañete - food was tasty and if you sit at the bar/counter area you can be nosy at what they are preparing.

Mercado de La Boqueria - great for having a different dish (and a glass of sangria) at each little eatery!

1 Like

I’d recommend Restaurant Mirabe located on the way up to Mount Tibidabo, where you’ll be able to sit on a balcony with spectacular vistas of the city.

Enjoy!

https://mirabe.com/home/