Best activities for strength building?

I keep hearing how important it is to build strength as well as doing cardio! My osteopath said I need to build upper body strength, I love yoga but looking for other suggestions!

1 Like

Pilates? Reformer is meant to be amazing for you! x

2 Likes

Pilates is great for this! Lots of online apps/videos Melissa Wood Health, Lottie Murphy and MaiaWellCo. You can add little hand weights from Bala to your workouts too x

1 Like

I tried Crossfit the other day! First session is free and there’s a huge focus on strength. Also F45 have strength specific days (Tues/Thurs from memory!). Finally Barry’s in Soho has a lifting only class, and they do upper body on Mondays and Wednesdays. Also Pilates is the bomb, as everyone else has said! x

1 Like

Lifting weights can be so intimidating if you’re a total beginner but fortunately there are so many other ways to build strength. Barre was a game-changer for me, Psycle classes are incredible (either online/on-demand or in their studio), and Louisa Drake is also fab for building strength without lifting super heavy. This feature may help also! https://sheerluxe.com/life/8-best-low-impact-workouts

2 Likes

I love Lottie Murphy pilates classes, she’s lovely and they are super easy to follow!

1 Like

I know I’m being captain obvious here, but - weight training! It is the absolute best workout you can do. Being strong is the absolute best feeling in the world. I know it is intimidating but it is incredibly satisfying and so so good for you.

2 Likes

Just started Reformer Pilates, can only manage once a week at present. I find this much more beneficial than gym. Resistance is more controlled and slower, I’m enjoying being in a small class max of 8.

2 Likes

Weight training is so good for women! I do live classes with James Knight Coaching. £10 per month and he does 10 classes a week. Start with 5kg dumbbells. I’m onto 10kg now for legs. You won’t start to look like a body builder, but you will build muscle and look toned. Have a look at the feature on Victoria Beckham in Women’s Health UK online :muscle:

1 Like

I used to go to a Les Mills Body Pump
Class, just once a week made a real difference to my strength and body shape, sadly the one I used to attend didn’t start again after lock downs

1 Like

Lifting heavy things - Weight training!
Hard to know where to start and whether you’re doing it right if you start alone so I would recommend having a few PT sessions face to face, or if you’re already familiar with gym/weight machines then an online PT is a really good idea. I’ve had an online PT for 8 months now and the changes I’ve seen in my body (and also relationship with food/my body) is huge!

3 Likes