Best fabric shops in London?

Looking for some cool shops that sell fabric by the metre. Preferably in and around East London!

There’s quite a few fabric stores around Berwick street by Picadilly which sell by the metre - lots of choice there!

2 Likes

Liberty’s for signature and silk-like tana lawn cottons are worth it - joyful designs. East London try Dalston Mill Fabrics - will take a while to get round the array of offerings there.

1 Like

This store is massive and has every material you could ever want - https://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/

2 Likes

Berwick St good shout!

1 Like

Tinsmiths has a great selection and very reasonable.

So, for luxury fabrics, Bewick Street, maybe look for the Clothhouse, Liberty for prints, but be prepared to pay a premium.
If you know what you’re looking for, Shepherds Bush have a few fabric shops, but like I say, you have to know what you are looking for. Don’t go to the ones that look very chic and modern, they cost a lot for the fabric. Look for those with the fabrics piled up everywhere and loads of Indian sari type fabrics everywhere. Like I say; if you know what you are looking for (fabric, weight, amount…etc) you’ll be fine. But if you don’t, stick to John Lewis then use Google if you want o buy in bulk as you’ll no doubt find it cheaper by the volume.

1 Like

Not East London, but for lots of choice definitely go to Goldhawk Road - if you get off at the station and turn right, the whole road is dotted with fabric shops on either side. I’d recommend spending a day there to browse - my favorite spots are A One Fabrics and A to Z Fabrics (which are right opposite each other and just by the station)

Alternatively, in East London there is a warehouse called Woolcrest Textiles just off Mare Street in Hackney that has tons of choice. It looks a bit intimidating but they have loads of choice and some really great stuff, the staff can help you find what you’re looking for and point you in the right direction. You’ll need cash here if you’re buying small amounts

1 Like