Book Reccs!

In the opposite of a reading slump, so I guess… a roll? Hit me with your best book reccs! Ones I’ve loved recently:

1. Meet Me at the Lake - Carley Fortune
  2. Happy Place - Emily Henry
  3. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder - Holly Jackson
  4. The Housemaid - Freida McFadden
  5. What Happens in Dubai - Sophie Gravia
6 Likes

Oh my god so many of my faves on your list. Emily Henry is my discovery of the year. SO good for getting out of a reading slump and onto a reading roll. Other suggestions below:

• The Chestnut Springs series by Elsie Silver (Powerless is my fave)
  • Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau
  • The Seven Husbands Of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  • The ACOTAR series by Sarah J. Maas
  • Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros
  • Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren
  • Ariadne by Jennifer Saint

xx

1 Like

Adding love death and sex addicts by Alexander kas to the list. New author. Definitely worth a read.

‘Demon Copperhead’ was a revelation
I loved ‘Anybody out there’ by Marian Keyes, I only discovered her last year and her books are a easy reads and so hertwarming
Excellent Women is a great classic
and anything by Nora Ephron… Heartburn is a delight

4 Likes

We are reading twins – I’ve read every single Marian Keyes book after only reading my first two years ago as everyone I interviewed about books would rave about Rachel’s Holiday. I’m now 100% up to speed about all things family Walsh! Also love all things Nora!

I will read anything by Curtis Sittenfeld, Elizabeth Strout and Ann Patchett!

1 Like

Some more recommendations

• Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson

• After the Funeral by Tessa Hadley

• Cursed Bread by Sophie Mackintosh

1 Like

I’ve just finished Penance by Eliza Clark and really rated it, was an easy read! Would also recommend her previous book Boy Parts for another dark but super easy read, sucks you right in

I just started The Whalebone Theatre by Joanna Quinn and loving it, epic, multi-generational storytelling and a beautiful read so far. Really reminds me of Sarah Winman’s Still Life, which I also adored.

These are my favourites over the past year or so! Loved them all -

Yellowface - R F Kuang
Cleopatra & Frankenstien - Coco Mellors
Peach Blossom Spring - Melissa Fu
The Vanishing Half - Brit Bennett
The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah
American Dirt - Jeanine Cummins

Totally echo many here, about to finish Cleopatra & Frankenstein and it’s just SO good. Not new, but I loved Standard Deviation, Catherine Heiny. I’d always been a fan of Kate Atkinson too, again not new but one with a great back catalogue.
For light fluffy but well written cosy reading as we head to autumn/winter, India Knight’s ‘Darlings’ is a fun, modern take on (one of my all time fav’s) Love in a Cold Climate/The Pursuit of Love. Her writing in general is great for light but good reads.

Not sure if this has already been discovered by the masses but I have just finished ‘The Hearts Invisible Furies’ by John Boyne which just blew me away. Following the life of Cyril which is equally heartbreaking and joyous with parts that genuinely make you laugh out loud. Initially when I saw how long the book was I had concerns (!) but it’s one of those books you’re sad to leave.

Lucy Diamond - One Night in Italy

Hadley Freeman - House of Glass

Daniel Silva - The Unlikely Spy

Min Jin Lee - Pachinko, Free food for Millionaires

Takashi Hiraide - The Guest Cat

Muriel Barbery - The Elegance of the Hedgehog

Hiro Arikawa - The Travelling Cat Chronicles

Any of Andrea Camilleri’s Inspector Montalbano series

Nora Ephron - Heartburn, I feel bad about my neck

Durian Sukegawa - Sweet Bean Paste

Ken Follett - Fall of Giants, Winter of the World & Edge of Eternity; Triple, The Key to Rebecca

Anthony Doerr - All the Light we cannot see

Kristin Hannah - The Nightingale

6 Likes

Loved Yellowface + The Vanishing Half!!

Loved House of Glass. Just finished Hitler, Stalin, Mum and Dad by Daniel Finklestein- which is in a similar vain and also very good. Especially relevant and important read at the moment.

I just finished ACOTAR and Fourth wing - really looking forward to Iron Flame coming out next month - pre-ordered already!

The disappearance of Stephanie mailer is a great thriller/ mystery. Would also second the Curtis sittenfeld recommendation especially ‘American wife’. ‘A little life’ is a really hard-hitting (and long) read, but very impactful. For something much lighter, the Seven Sisters series is also a great holiday read.

Loved Go as a River by Shelley Read

Oh my word, Daniel Silva and that Gabriel Allon character. I can still remember my first time reading this book. Excellent choice.

All The Light We Cannot see is our next Book Club Pick!

1 Like