Considerations when buying/renting a house

Hey! Keen to know your top considerations when buying (or even renting) a first home?

Location obviously a must, but proximity to train station? Garden? Lots of natural light?

Thanks so much! X

1 Like

It depends on your lifestyle/work situation but I would say being near a station is always beneficial due to getting around at the weekend etc/not being stranded.

This may be more relevant to me, but I also think it’s nice to be in a location that has places you can easily go for walks/get out at weekends/lunch etc. x

1 Like

If you’re commuting then I think you’re right, proximity to transport is key.
Otherwise it depends on so much - do you drive? do you have children so you need to be near schools? Do you want the maintenance of a garden?
In terms of the property, do you want a renovation project or something turn key? I think location and budget is key and go from there…

1 Like

More relevant to buying than renting, but I think it’s really important to look for quality in a home - from the materials used down to the finishing touches, e.g. woodwork, doors, windows, etc. If they’re second-rate or not to your style, you’ll spend a lot replacing them (and this can really add up). The windows are always one of the first things I look at in a house! Check the state of things externally, too.

Proximity to a train station is also essential, especially if you’re moving further out. Look into costs, too, for parking (I didn’t and wish I had!)

If renting a flat or somewhere more central, avoid anything near traffic lights!

x

1 Like

Agree with the above, having easy access to transport would be key for me. What I also would look at is being close to shops when you don’t drive but also if the area is quiet and if there are lots of green spaces around like parks etc.

Might not be relevant but when renting what I also looked at was if the agency/landlord has good reviews and if they are responsive when in need. If you’re renting and have a chance to speak to previous tenants I think that is a really important things to ask.

1 Like

After renting a semi-detached property with 3 external walls and no double glazing, the next rental I move into, I will consider a more insulated property as I have had issues with heavy rainfall and damp from external walls.

1 Like

Which direction the garden/outside space faces! We bought a flat and our balcony only gets sunlight until 11am so we dont really use it that much which is a shame

1 Like

Sufficient storage is a must for me! of course, you can be clever to maximise space but there’s nothing worse when you’re stuck for cupboard space! Especially in a rental.

1 Like

Worst house / flat on the best street. Go a bit further out and get more space. Somewhere you can add value via side return / refurb etc gx

1 Like

I have never rented an accommodation, but when my husband and I were looking at houses to buy for our first home together a decade ago, he was really fussy and had a list of essentials: driveway, lots of natural light, south facing garden, proximity to shops, train station and good primary schools (especially important, as I do not drive).
Even though we took 11 months to finally find our first home, I am glad we took the time to discover our then perfect home because when we sold it in January 2022 to upsize, we made quite a substantial profit!

1 Like