Countryside Hiking Routes reachable from London

Looking for some nice countryside hiking routes that are out of London, but close enough to be reached by train. Ideally ending in a little town where we could go to a pub.

Thanks so much x

2 Likes

If you haven’t been already Box Hill is great Box Hill | Surrey | National Trust

5 Likes

You could try this and then head onto Brighton afterwards, make a weekend of it. It’s a lovely area.

2 Likes

Second this - nothing better than ending up at the Running Horses https://www.therunninghorses.co.uk/ after a long Box Hill walk!

2 Likes
  • Seven Sisters Cliffs Walk!
  • Richmond to Hampton Court Palace along the Thames, you can stop at Petersham Nurseries or lots of nice pubs along the way
1 Like

Epping Forest or the Chess Valley near Amersham are both easily reachable by public transport and have loads of pubs. I echo the recommendation above for Balcombe and that website (Saturday Walkers Club) is a great resource as the walks are all designed around train stations you can get to from London and they recommend places to eat too.

1 Like

Get the train to Brighton, then you can walk over the South Downs to lovely Lewes, which has loads of great little pubs and antique shops. Takes about 3/4 hours max and you can get the train back to London after dinner.

3 Likes

Wye, Hastingleigh both on the Kent Downs, much less busy than Surrey, and in ANOB, perfectly tranquil and unpopulated countryside…South East Kent is a hidden gem and best of all is 40 mins from London St Pancras to Wye.

Great pubs The Stouting Inn, Stouting, The Five Bells, Brabourne, The New Flying Horse, Wye.
Stay at https://abnb.me/fMuSyNLc0Ab

2 Likes

This looks so lovely, thanks so much!

Agreeing with the Box Hill and Seven Sisters recommendations! I have a friend who did a stint living in Beaconsfield, and we went on the most wonderful walk in the countryside. Also the Richmond to Hampton walk is so peaceful.

1 Like

Leave the Wotton Hatch Dorking car park and head for Friday Street, to Stephen Langton Pub.

1 Like