Easy Canapés instead of a starter

Hi, I’m hosting a dinner party for 10 and I would love some ideas for canapés instead of a starter. Most of our guests are in their late 20’s to early 30’s (so a bit younger than me!)
I’m looking for a few veggie ideas, as we are doing pork belly for main.
Many thanks x

2 Likes

Hi!
So fun. I love a little something on toast. Crostini/Bruschetta.
Balsamic peppers with burrata or mozzarella is a good combo.
Finely slice peppers (you want about 1 per person which sounds a lot I know but trust me). Go for a mix of red and yellow. Drizzle with oil and salt and cook for about 30-40 mins in an oven set to 180 fan setting until soft and slightly charred. Remove from the oven and add a really good slosh of balsamic vinegar, stir it in and just let the peppers sit and cool.
I love to make a quick pesto or herby oil too. roughly chopped basil, finely grated garlic, lemon juice, salt olive oil. Or all the preceding ingredients along with a handful of salted roasted cashews or almonds (cheaper than pine nuts) whizzed in a magimix
Slice your baguette or sourdough and either drizzle with oil and cook in the oven on a grill setting or just toast in a toaster which is what I do. Then drizzle the pieces as they come out and rub each one with a halved clove of garlic. You can do this bit just before people arrive and assemble. It doesn’t need to be warm.
Top with the peppers, tear over the burrata or mozzarella and finish with the pesto or herby oil.

3 Likes

I started writing this before I realised this is a askalexandra post as I love canapes… So I will share with you anyway…!

Layer smoked salmon, sour cream, on blini’s! Or if you can find a trout roe it’s not too expensive but feels VERY fancy and can all be prepared ahead or very quick to do fresh.

Hard boiled quails eggs and celery salt for dipping (I think you can buy these peeled already in Waitrose these days just to make it even easier!)

For full vedgie could blanch asparagus spears and make a hollandaise sauce for dipping.

M x

This sounds DELICIOUS

I often make the charred tomatoes on yoghurt from ottolenghi’s simple book. I serve it with warm slices of pitta bread. It’s so good!

2 Likes