European City Breaks

Myself and a few girlfriends are looking to book a European city break for March 2023. We’ve been to Paris/Barcelona/Amsterdam etc, so looking for somewhere a little different. Any recommendations?

4 Likes

Lisbon is great - great food, nightlife, close to the beach and quite reasonable! x

3 Likes

Seville has everything you need for a fun weekend! I also love Germany, Berlin is the obvsious choice but Leipzig is seriously cool these days. Lots of independent cafes, restaurants and art galleries. Institut der Zukunft is the Berghain of the city if you want to go out out.

3 Likes

Tel Aviv! Beach, culture, flights from every major airline - and literally the best foodie scene anywhere in the world

3 Likes

I was coming here to post something similar. I really liked Porto - we flew into Lisbon, had a couple of nights there then took the high speed train to Porto.

2 Likes

Budapest is a great city as is Vienna and Prague. Bratislava is also a nice city, you could easily spend a couple of days in each as each city is only 2 or 3 hours train ride from the other, with regular train services.
Alternatively Berlin and Dresden are both very nice, again they are only 2 hours train ride apart.
Other places I would recommend are Salzburg or Innsbruck, or perhaps Stockholm or Bergen

3 Likes

Antwerp walkable and accessible great, lovely boutique shops for fashion, interior design plus fab food

1 Like

Porto!!! Such a fun vibrant city. Great for walking and not too sprawling. Not expensive to eat and drink and you don’t come across a bad restaurant. Would highly recommend!

Second Lisbon! I’ve been in March before and the weather was the perfect spring temp (we had a couple of rainy spells but nothing major), plus it’s got absolutely everything you want from a city - the food scene is FAB and people are so great. We stayed at the Lumiares Hotel and couldn’t recommend more highly

1 Like

I went to Malaga in October, it’s a great place for a trip with friends. It’s not the biggest city but the old town is really pretty, there’s great food and rooftop bars. I also loved Milan – great food and shopping!

For something a bit different I love Bilbao. It’s a fun city with seriously good food and bars and you can get the metro to the beach, or a bus/train to San Sebastian for the day.

1 Like

I also loved Bergen when I visited. It’s not huge, so you feel like you’ve really got to know the place when you leave. I also really loved Oslo when I went for a long weekend a few years ago. A new hotel called Hotel Sommerro has just opened and looks awesome: https://www.sommerrohouse.com/en/

1 Like

Copenhagen! An excellent city to do in a few days, lots of amazing restaurants, fashion, galleries and design shops! It’s a great to cycle around the city or get the ferries on the harbour.

Stockholm is great, food is delicious and great shopping - easy to walk around!

Couldn’t agree more about Lisbon - the food, the people and the sunshine really add to such a vibrant city. Plus, Cascais is nearby for gorgeous beaches and Sintra for a day trip and some of the most incredible views.

1 Like

Palma is great and I went to Bologna and loved it. It’s also easy to get to Florence as well. For a spa trip in UK so many to choose from . Could try Edinburgh as well which has great spas, good food and lots to do

1 Like

How about Ljubljana! Such a small and fun city, perfect for a weekend getaway!

I can’t recommend Budapest more! It’s brilliant! Felt like an affordable european new york <3

Madrid, definitely!! You can get the train and have a day in Toledo, very pretty. My boyfriend and i did South of France last March, as it was out of season it was such good value

I would love to hear more about Ljublijana. My boyfriend and I are looking at booking here in Dec for the Christmas markets, but any recommendations would be great as I have never been!

Ljubljana is super adorable! I suggest not to spend more than 3 days there as it’s so tiny you’ll be able to walk around all the cool stuff in max 2 days. The places to visit:
Ljubljana castle, Tivoli park, stroll around the city center, Moderna gallery, enjoy the bars by the riverside, maybe even do one of those free walking tours to learn more about the history of the city, Metelkova alternative space (daytime only though), Cukrarna art gallery/cafe…

However, Ljubljana is a great base to make day trips to Bled (the tiny island on the lake), Bohinj (a beautiful lake surrounded by the mountains), Piran (a picturesque city at the seaside, facing Italy), Goriška brda (the most famous wine region), Kranjska Gora (to enjoy the mountains and snow) for example.

Let me know if this was helpful, happy to give you more specific ideas/names where to also eat/drink/stay :slight_smile:

3 Likes