Getting Back to work after 15 years?

Hi,
Any Top tips on how to get yourself back in the game after leaving work for 15 years to be a mom at home? Or what are the best recruiters and or agencies to work with?
Thanks.

1 Like

Which area of work are you returning to?

1 Like

Credit control/client services, worked previously in the private aviation sector, entertainment and tech.

I am a huge advocate of women returners. Let’s face it you’ve been working for 15 years unpaid in an incredibly busy role.

Seek out groups online which are for exactly that. We have a lot of flexible working and supportive groups in Scotland but not sure where you are based. Apply for all.

Remember you have an exceptional skill set. Talk up to that. I consider those who have worked as full time mums some of the most efficient and organised women I’ve employed.

We had a credit controller role but just filled it unfortunately. Think about whether you want to be home or office based and start there. You can do it. I would be really happy to help you with interview techniques. I have a 100% success rate in coaching people for interview.

1 Like

Any time coming back to work after raising a family is difficult, be that 1 year or 15 but you are more than capable and being prepared is key. As an HR professional, my tips would be;

Firstly, work out where your skills, experience and passions lie. Do you want to work for someone else or is there now a good opportunity for you to set up for yourself or work freelance, or in a consultation role?

Question what kind of career path you want at this stage? Do you want something that is still flexible around your family life or have they all flown the nest and you want to push your career now?

Read up on any major changes in your sector; be that systems, processes or working practices.

Update your CV so it demonstrates you still have the knowledge and skills that are relevant and that you are an able and willing learner. Consider making your CV more skills-based rather than ‘work experience’ so your career gap is a positive one.

Consider completing a short refresher course before applying for roles to give you that edge. There are so many online short courses or certificates that can be completed flexibly. Showing you are learning as you return to the workplace is a positive and you can make your skills transferable into other areas of employment, not just what you’ve done before.

Use sites like LinkedIn to network with like-minded individuals and connect with people locally in your field so you can contact them directly as soon as a suitable role comes up. It might be that you connect with old colleagues who may know of new opportunities that would be the perfect fit for you, especially as they will recall your experience and knowledge in previous roles and could vouch for your work and character.

Talk up your career break. Demonstrate the skills you still have and gained whilst raising a family and how it is relevant and applies to the position. Sound enthusiastic to return and bring the focus back to what you did before a family and how you still retain and build on that knowledge today.

You will be absolutely fine. Many businesses nowadays are actively encouraging returning parents into the workplace and hopefully any decent company will recognise your true value.

1 Like

Hi,

There are lots of companies now with schemes taking ‘return to work’ mums. They have realised that it is an untapped and skilled talent pool; the ones I am aware of are within the tech space and generally no experience needed in the field.
Good luck!