Hottest new reads

I want to get back into reading!! Please advise on any reads you just couldn’t put down - thank you so much.

4 Likes

I am SO late to the party but I just finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid and couldn’t put it down!

Equally if you want a “can’t put it down” thriller, Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn has one of the best twists I’ve read in ages.

4 Likes

I just read ‘No one saw a thing’ on holiday - really good thriller. Can borrow if you like!

3 Likes

‘The best days of our lives’ - Lucy Diamond

‘One night in Italy’ - Lucy Diamond

‘Mentre aspetti la cioccolata’ / ‘Un jeudi saveur chocolat’ - Michiko Aoyama

‘What you are looking for is in the library’ - Michiko Aoyama

The Before the Coffee gets cold quartet by Toshikazu Kawaguchi

‘Pachinko’ - Min Jin Lee

‘The Guest Cat’ - Takashi Hiraide

‘The Travelling Cat Chronicles’ - Hiro Arikawa

‘Things we hide from the light’ & ‘Things we never get over’ - Lucy Score

‘Fall of Giants, Winter of the World, Edge of Eternity, The Key to Rebecca, Triple, Jackdaws, Hornet Flight’ - Ken Follett

‘Kane & Abel, The Prodigal Daughter, Shall we tell the President?’ - Jeffrey Archer

‘Bloodline’ - Sidney Sheldon

‘The Witches of Vardo’ - Anya Bergman

‘The Nightingal’ - Kirstin Hannah

1 Like

I’m also late to the party, but ‘The Circle’ is really good, sort of a modern day 1984 and a real page turner.

There’s a movie version (really not as good as the book though) with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson you can watch when you finish it, I always love comparing the book to the movie!

If you’re open to fantasy (a LOT of folks won’t touch it, but I’ve converted some of them personally, so I know things can change), the two series that are absolutely exploding in the US are the Fourth Wing series by Rebecca Yarros and the A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR) series by Sarah J. Maas. I’m not sure if these are as big in the UK yet (their popularity is driven by booktok a lot) but pretty much everyone who reads them gets addicted/obsessed. They’re both a bit steamy too with sexy male leads. The second one is notorious for being slow to start (first half of the first book), then the second half becomes really interesting, and if folks go to the second book they’re hooked for life. Like, cannot overstate how hooked.

I can second the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - a really amazing book.

Also the Silent Patient, I was listening to old SL team pods and heard it mentioned, really gripping book, I read within a day (which is not like me!)

3 Likes

My ultimate favourite book is Behind Closed Doors, closely followed by Silent Patient and The Last Mrs Parrish.

I have recently read The Things We Never Got Over and The Things We Hide From The Light which I loved.

Hope you like my recommendations as I love hearing other peoples too :slight_smile: x

My Dark Vanessa - Kate Elizabeth Russell
If he had been with me - Laura Nowlin
The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
Notes on an execution - Danya Kukafka

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir - exciting and heartwarming all at the same time. Will leave you thinking about the characters long afterwards.

I read a lot of books but recently read a Lulu Taylor book for the first time A winter Memory, got me on page 1

None of this is true - Lisa Jewell (and anything by her in general)
Home Fire - Kamila Shamsie
Eye for an eye - M.J. Alrlidge
The Housemaid - Freida McFadden

I need a kick up the bum too! Loving all these suggestions. I am counting down the days until Marian Keyes’ new book comes out (currently 6).

Say you swear by Meagan Brandy - I could not put it down and not to be dramatic but I now don’t know what to read because nothing will compare!

Any suggestions for a first time read of her work?

Of Marian Keyes? I’d start with Rachel’s Holiday… then you can dip into any and all of the Walsh family books in any order (they’re all great). I love her standalone books too, Grown Ups is great.

1 Like

I just finished ‘Verity’ by Colleen Hoover and read it in 3 sessions- very good !
I also loved ; After I do, Boy Parts, Animals, Maybe in Another Life and Down the Drain this year so far!

Some books I’ve liked a lot in the past few years:

The Book of Lost and Found by Laura Dave
The Guest List by Lucy Foley
Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller

Also read My Not So Perfect Life by Spohie Kinsella recently and thought it was a cute story.