House renovation

Hi Georgie! I’m buying a house that is in need of huge renovation and modernisation. Can you please share any hints and tips from your experience? Any things to skimp or splurge on? Inspiration? People to work with? Etc

1 Like

Hello! i worked with an interior designer and i’d advise this if you can… if cost prohibits there are online platforms where you can pay people by the hour or by room that said if you use an interior designer (even on a fixed fee) there is quite a saving on their industry discounts. i’d say the get the foundations right, find a good carpenter for everything from wardrobes to kitchen poss. dont build in everything - but def some things. mix the old and the new. a bit black in every room. an antique in every room, be clever on curtains - keep fabric simple and low cost and add trims, window treatments, do blinds with a pelmet. soft furnishings make a house feel like a home. flooring can be v expensive but there are things like quick step that are v low cost and good. try and keep it timeless, dont follow the trends. use a farrow & ball or paint library colour consultant - you pay them a small one off fee and they will push you / get it right. paint the skirting the same colour as the walls - it’s calming. go for it with colour - dont necessarily mean go bright, but do be bold. follow lots of the best interior designers - we feature lots of them. hope that helps. good luck gx

1 Like