How to take care of facial Acne scars

I’m really struglling with scarring from breakouts I had, they’re so visible even when I wear my foundation… Any tips on how to get rid/make them fade?

Thanks so much in advance!

4 Likes

I have recently read that LED masks can help them fade, especially if there is pigmentation around them too

2 Likes

I find a good vitamin C serum works wonders this one is more affordable than most. But generally, there a three things I did to clear up my skin (trust me when I say it used to be HORRENDOUS):

1. Went back on the pill (I know that’s not appropriate for everyone, but just being honest/transparent)
  2. Stopped using anything harsh e.g. retinol, glycolic acid etc. Focus only on hydration and protection.
  3. Use the Augustinus Bader cream religiously. He’s a former plastic surgeon who worked with wound victims, so the science is there and I believe it really works.
2 Likes

Microneedling can be a really beneficial treatment for scarring - it’s now offered as an add-on for some facials too - as it helps boost your skin’s collagen levels and firmness, in turn you get smoother skin

If budget doesn’t stretch to that, vitamin C and retinol-based serums can really help boost collagen and cell turnover too for a smoother surface. I really rate this:

Also facial peels are good - just go for gentle ones and those with low % of active ingredients to start off

3 Likes

Would suggest micro needling if acne scars are your main concern although would avoid this if you have active acne. It works by making tiny holes in the skin so essentially wounding it (gross…ha) and making it repair itself so helps to heal skin concerns like acne scarring. I mainly use it to reduce my fine lines but it also gives you a really nice glowy complexion. If doing at home, would make sure the needle length is small. I use an environ one (environ are absolutely amazing!) and the needle length is 0.1mm and it doesn’t hurt at all. It’s not cheap but it’s definitely worth investing in a good one: https://www.facethefuture.co.uk/collections/environ/products/environ-cosmetic-roll-cit

Do you also use retinol….? If not, I would highly recommend. It’s the best ingredient for almost anything - fine lines, blemishes, scarring etc. again, I love environ - it’s a South African skincare brand founded by a cosmetic surgeon mainly based around vitamin A aka retinol. If you start with the essentiA range, they have a step by step system where you start with a moisturiser called AVST 1 which has very small levels of vitamin A in it. You get your skin used to that, then go up to 2 then 3, 4 & 5. Once you get to 5, you can then intro retinol serums too (1,2,3 levels) to get higher doses of vit A/retinol. Environ also have the most incredible face mask too called the “revival masque” and they describe it as a facelift in a jar - it’s amazing! I wear it overnight maybe twice a week and your skin looks amazing the next morning - so glowy and plump and if you use it regularly, it stimulates more collagen production.

Also, an LED mask…expensive, and I use my for anti ageing but think also meant to be really good for acne scarring!

3 Likes

Or, you could try a personalised skincare service like ‘Skin + Me’ where you specify your areas of concerns, upload pix and are sent a tailored serum to use every evening to target that concern. I’m using for pigmentation now and rate it.

3 Likes

Thanks so much everyone, this is SO helpful! x

I agree with trying microneedling - I’ve had a few sessions now and it’s made my skin so smooth since starting. It also minimises the look of pores. Occasionally, I’ll have microdermabrasion too, but I prefer microneedling overall!

1 Like

For an at-home serum I really rate Cerave’s blemish control gel - so good at fading marks quickly!

1 Like

My scarring has faded significantly with microneedling treatments every 6-8 weeks so I recommend this too! It’s an investment but it really does make a difference. I’ve done this combined with vitamin c serum daily (I like Medik8 or La roche posay and retinol at night every other night/every 2-3 nights depending on how strong it is. Good luck!

1 Like

My skin scarring and hyperpigmentation really evened out when I started using niacinamide. I use it every day before my moisturiser. My favourites are:
The Inkey List Niacinamide

Glow Recipe Niacinamide Drops

2 Likes

Thanks so much - definitely need to do some shopping this weekend. And book the microneedling - sounds so promising! x

We recently covered this on the latest LuxeGirl Group Chat podcast and one of our guests Milly Hobbs (who has been on a real skincare journey) could not recommend this product more highly: Clarifying Azelaic Acid 20% Cream | https://bit.ly/3D3H2lc

2 Likes

Medical consultation would work, as a beginning. It might be a hormonal trouble. From my own experience.

1 Like

Use SPF to as it helps to block uv rays which can makes marks worse

1 Like

I really love the Murad invisiscar resurfacing treatment, it works absolute wonders! But I would say use an extra moisturising moisturiser with this

1 Like

Thanks so much!!

I have seen this advertised a lot, but have no personal experience of using it.

2 Likes

La roche posey - cica plast ! amazing and doesn’t break you out. One of the ingrediants is specalized for stopping redness and stopping scaring.

1 Like

Thanks so much, will check that out x