Mini break in Rome

I am off to Rome with my 11 year old son for 4 days over half term. Planning on visiting the main tourist attractions but would love any tip offs / advice on what must be seen / can be skipped so we can make the most of the time!

2 Likes

Rome - my favourite city!

I would suggest visiting and booking in advance Galleria Borghese - a must-visit to see Bernini’s sculptures. I suggest visiting Palazzo Colonna, Galleria Doria Pamphilij (on Via del Corso) and Palazzo Barberini. A visit to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Castel Sant’ Angelo are recommended.

If you have time, head to Palazzo Altemps and Villa Medici - close to the Spanish steps. San Luigi dei Francesi Church is also worth a visit. If you have time for an excursion outside Rome, visit Villa d’Este in Tivoli.

For restaurants I highly recommend Osteria il Chianti (close to the Trevi Fountain) - booking is highly recommended; Matricianella - booking is highly recommended, Giolitti - for ice-cream, Trattoria al Tettarello and Dar Poeta (in Trastevere). For a coffee stop and something sweet, La Cafetteria is the place to go to: https://www.lacaffettieraroma.it/

1 Like

Great recommendations!

Lovely! I love Rome and I think I went on a family holiday when I was around 11. To be honest I think the main sites, churches and museums are great for a first trip – with lots of gelato stops along the way!