Mum's 70th Birthday Gift

My mum turns 70 this year. She likes the simple things in life and doesn’t usually like receiving things like jewellery or ‘just because’ gifts, but she does appreciate good quality. I usually buy her flowers or something that she’ll use (face cream, tea, gloves) but I’d like to get her something that she wouldn’t buy for herself.

We’re already going away for her birthday weekend with the family and I’m arranging for the place to be decorated and for caterers to host a nice dinner. I’d like to gift an item that makes her smile every time she uses it, hopefully something that will last a long time.

Any ideas/website suggestions are welcome!

1 Like

I recently bought my mother in law a subscription to Storyworth for her 70th and she loves it. Each week she is emailed a question and by the end of the year she’ll have a book about her life. You can add photos and order multiple copies for family members. Writing about your life can be overwhelming but the questions help prompt a memory eg Where was your first holiday abroad? Who was your best friend at school? What advice would you give your grandchildren? When they submit their answer you also get cced in to the email, so you can read as they write, which is lovely too.

1 Like

This sounds just like my Mum! Very tricky to buy for. We did recently buy her the Hermes scarf ring and she wears it most days. Subtle but chic and elevates any outfit. It was a big success!

1 Like

I found as my dad got older & harder to buy for spending time with him was what I found most special. I’d take him to the theatre, the ballet, concerts, comedians, sporting events. We’s usually go for dinner before the show. I wanted to create memories & spend some quality time together. For his 80th we went to a Michelin gastro pub & he loved having his family around him.

1 Like

Love all these ideas, thanks everyone :slight_smile: