New House

Hello gals!

My partner and I are moving into an unfurnished place and I’m wondering if you have any interior tips. I don’t know where to start in terms of what to buy first, or where to start. We’ve both been live parents so we own very little furniture.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the main thing is not to rush to buy things because you think you need to fill the space, find a key item that you really really love and build up around this!

I would start by putting together a Pinterest board / IG saved folder to see the kind of aesthetic you want to go for. Once you’ve sourced the main items you can start building up around this once you’re living in the space x

I’d save up for the key items you need to make your home comfortable and prioritise those - including a sofa and a bed.
Because you can take these items with you, they are worth investing in and going for the best you can afford. If you go for something neutral, they’ll work wherever you live next.
If storage is an issue, consider a bed with under-bed storage - great for clothes you aren’t wearing that season, especially if you vacuum pack them away. Do you need a sofa that could be a sofabed for guests (assuming it’s a small flat?). Sofabeds have come on a long way and are worth considering if you have friends and family keen to stay.

After that, I’d go for high street accessories - check out our recent Homeware Hits - there are brilliant options for side tables, mirrors, table lamps and art - which all instantly add character and warmth to a space. Good luck!

2 Likes

When my partner and I bought our first house, we (with permission!) used lots from our own rooms at parents’ houses (eg fancy storage boxes as a bedside table, lamps etc) and bought clothes rails until we figured out how we wanted each room to look.

We also asked friends and family if they had any unwanted or unneeded furniture that we could upcycle or borrow/have!

I absolutely second creating pinterest boards and moodboards to give yourself an idea of your style!

Don’t rush into anything. Keep it simple until you know for sure what you want! Antiques centres are also fab places for furniture to upcycle and for decorative pieces eg mirrors.

There are also loads of Ikea buys that you can make your own by painting and changing knobs and handles! There’s lots of ideas and hacks on Pinterest.

I also love TKMaxx and Homesense for bargain interiors!

Another tip is to go for cushions with removable covers so you can change them up for different seasons or if your taste changes!

Good luck and enjoy!