Next up in the SheerLuxe Book Club… Really Good, Actually by Monica Heisey

I tried to enjoy this but it ended up being a chore to finish. All I could hear was Maggie’s whining voice. Some of the lists were amusing, I liked the friends group chat and Amy, for me, had the best 3-D character.

2 Likes

I loved this book! Such a great feel-good novel, definitely lots of laugh-out-loud and relatable moments.

A few questions for Monica; I’d be interested to hear her talk through the process of developing Maggie’s character and what inspired her. She definitely goes on a journey of ups and downs and I’m interested in the journey during the writing process which led to this.

1 Like

I finished this book a few days ago and still trying to decide whether I enjoyed it or not… I found it didn’t really go anywhere which made it difficult to want to pick up, which was disappointing as I know so many people really loved it.
My question to Monica would be; in her head where does she see Maggie in 10 years time? Re-married with kids, or still enjoying single life?!

2 Likes

Great question, thank you!

1 Like

EXCELLENT QUESTION! I’d love to know this too.

I loved the lists and Amy’s character development too!

1 Like

I feel similar! I’m half way through and although it has made me laugh out loud on several occasions, I sometimes struggle with Maggie’s dry pessimism. I can feel quite deflated after reading it, which is so bizarre considering it makes me laugh too. Interesting how the book can do both.

2 Likes

The third Book Club podcast is now live!

You’ve been reading & commenting & now the Book Club podcast is live…

Listen to it here

Heather & Georgina are joined by special guest, author Monica Heisey, to discuss her debut novel, Really Good, Actually, including reader reviews on the SL Community.

Watch it here

We also announced the next book on the Book Club: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Click here to order the book.

It’s a busy time of year, so you have until January to read it. Once you’ve finished reading, share your thoughts & reviews with other readers in the new Book Club thread.

If you’ve already read the book, start commenting now!