Next up in the SheerLuxe Book Club… Tom Lake by Ann Patchett

There are now six weeks to read the next book – Tom Lake by Ann Patchett. Once you’ve finished reading, share your thoughts & reviews in the SL Community with other readers.

At the end of the month, Heather & Georgina will be joined by journalist & author Bryony Gordon to hear about her latest book & answer all your questions.

If you’ve already read the book, start commenting and ask Bryony your questions in the thread below…

2 Likes

So excited for this one – I’m a massive Ann Patchett fan!

Is this book still only available in the UK as a Hardback?

1 Like

So excited to hear what you all think. Lots to unpack in this one. From being a grown up returning to the family home due to the pandemic, to the sexual politics of the 80s, to understanding when to hold on and when to let go…. And maybe, there is such a thing as fate?

1 Like

At the moment, yes – it’s also available on Kindle and as an audiobook (read by Meryl Streep, no less!)

The play “Our Town” was a central theme in the narrative. As an English reader I had never heard of this play - whilst it’s role still worked for me I would be really interested to know more about its cultural significance in the US and the motivation for the author’s choice of this play.

2 Likes

Same! I had to google it mid-way through the book to see if it was real or made up!

Marvellous - I read and listened to this one as I enjoyed it so much. The days of the pandemic seem so long ago and yet this novel picks up the fears and feelings I’m sure many of us had during that extraordinary time. I loved the slow reveal of the previously unrecognised obvious (if that makes sense?). The core layers of the past, present and future stories all revolving around the farm were a delight. The seemingly simple plot intricately played out to tie up so neatly all the loose ends - are her other books so well crafted? I haven’t read this author before but will now look out for some of her other works. I think this is my favourite SL Book Club choice so far. Thank you.

2 Likes

I think it’s my favourite pick too! Loved reading it. I’ve loved her other books – The Dutch House is so good too – would really recommend if you loved Tom Lake.

Hi Heather & Georgie, Loved Tom Lake - fave read thus far! Are you able to reveal the next book yet? I’d love to know :+1:t2:

2 Likes

So glad you loved it, I did too. And we’ll be letting you know very soon!

1 Like

Thank you Heather - look forward to finding out what we will be reading next!

1 Like

Hi Natalie – we’ve announced our new book, it’s Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld. We’re tinkering around with the format a little this time, so we will create a Community thread for the book the day the podcast goes live so we can all chat about it together! Hope you enjoy the book, I loved it! Heather

2 Likes

That’s good I’d started to think Book Club was over.

2 Likes

Thank you Heather, sounds like it will be a good one! I’m looking forward to reading and discussing with you 🫶🏻

1 Like