Porto Recommendations

My partner and I are heading to Porto in July for a wedding, however we have a few days to do our own thing!

Having never been, I would love all recommendations from food to activities … and also what the dressing vibe is?!

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi – there are some nice suggestions here:

1 Like

Port wine tasting… a must! Thanks Heather :slight_smile:

I went in March and it was great fun. I’d recommend:

Mercado do Bolhão - great food market
Flor dos Congregados - beautiful hidden gem of a restaurant, small so I’d recommend booking in advance
The Garden Cafe was SO good for breakfast and lunches - sometimes a queue but worth the wait
Confeitaria do Bolhão - supposedly the best natas in Porto and I have to agree (having tried a lot!)
Santo Italian restaurant was really nice for something a bit more chill

I’d definitely recommend a Port tour. There are loads. We did the Burmester one which was good but we also booked last minute so there might be better ones out there.

Livrario Lello is known as one of the most beautiful bookshops in the world. Quite busy inside and you pay to get in (which you can then redeem against a book) but if you like books/reading/bookshops it’s a must!

1 Like

Thank you very much Jordan! This is incredibly helpful and much appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi,

My husband and I went to Porto for our honeymoon last year (we visted Porto and then Lisbon for the week). We loved it! Here are some recommendations following our visit:

Miradouro da Vitória - best viewing spot in the city (in our opinion)
Farinha - excellent pizza - unfortunately, doesn’t take bookings in advance
Jardins do Palácio de Cristal - sensational gardens along the river to explore. Free admission with lots of nooks and crannies - probably takes longer than it looks initially
Mercado Bom Sucesso - great food court, nice place to go with lots of options
Gazela - very rough and ready but apparantly a bit of a Porto institution. Cool place where everyone orders exactly the same thing - ‘Cachorrinhos’. My husband and I really liked it, staff very friendly and fun. Good for a quick lunch.
Gruta - really lovely meal (mainly seafood - Portugese/Brazilian)
Rooftop Flores - tiny bar with a gorgeous view of the city hidden in some tiny little backstreet. Ideal to stop off with a drink mid-afternoon
Porto Cathedral - well worth the time/admission

Hope this helps (and that you have a lovely time)!

1 Like

It sounds like you had a fantastic time (also congratulations on getting married!)… i’m looking forward to retracing some of your steps, this is wonderful :slight_smile:

I went about 6 years ago and loved it, definitely plan to go back. Port tour at Grahams was excellent and they had a lovely bar and restaurant up on a terrace with a fabulous view over the Douro.
A Douro boat trip and train journey meant to be great views of the UNESCO vineyard terraces.

Hi all. If anyone has any recommendations for activities with children in Porto, that would be great. We’re going for 2 weeks with a 10 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old. Thank you.

Porto is awesome, especially in July. Food-wise, definitely try francesinha and pastel de nata. For activities, check out Livraria Lello and the Ribeira district.

1 Like

Jardin do Palacio de Cristal … a free park with Peacock’s, roosters and chickens roaming around :slight_smile: