Present for American In-Laws?

Hello,

I am travelling to the states in september for my brothers wedding, where we will be meeting his new in-laws. My family and I want to come over with a gift or two that has an aspect of Britain about it but isn’t cheesy and overly tourist.

We have thought about alcohol but fear it won’t travel well with 14 hours of travel and a flight change.

I would love any suggestions!
(No budget really!)

Thanks all,

Elx

1 Like

Hi, how about a little hamper? Made up of British brands, like a Jo Malone candle, a nice Liberty’s tea towel or tote bag and treats such as honey / jam from F&M that will travel well? Something for everyone in there!

1 Like

I think this is such a lovely idea! I think anything from Harrods too like English breakfast tea or shortbread could work in a hamper. Candles, hand soap etc. are all easy wins from places like Jo Malone and Liberty x

I bought things from these brands above too for my family in Aus! x

1 Like

Such a nice idea, El!

Anything from Fortnum & Mason would go down a treat - doesn’t get more British than that!

The biscuit tins would travel well and keep for ages - the chocolossus biscuits are so iconic and probably the best ones I’ve ever had!

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/chocolossus-biscuits-600g-tin

Hi Eloise

It’s probably best to pack things which are fairly light and non-breakable:

London Transport Museum scarves

William Morris Blackthorn Silk Scarf

Sophie Allport’s ‘London’ range

Seasalt gift boxed scenic socks for women

Seasalt gift boxed scenic socks for men

Whittard’s Afternoon Tea Collection

Whittard’s British Icons Mini Tea Caddies

Have a great trip!

Finally, something I’m uniquely qualified to answer! American here, and these are all fantastic ideas.

For luxury brands like soaps, candles, etc., there are lots we can get here but especially for ones that are so identifiable as British, that doesn’t even matter - everyone loves to get them!

Every Christmas I find myself drooling over the F&M hampers, but all the very best ones are always UK delivery only. So those goodies are extra special. For an idea, just go on their website and filter by things that only ship to the US, then choose anything not on that list ha!

And a Liberty tea towel or tote sounds absolutely lovely, now I’m wanting one of each. Both useful and the tea towel is definitely not something you’d see here.

If you’re confident enough that you know the person’s home decor style, I often find myself wanting MANY of the home accessories featured in SL but the majority either don’t ship to the US or charge a fortune, so that can be a treat. Our H&Ms (at least that I’ve seen) don’t have a home section, and I’m always obsessed with EVERYTHING on there like cocktail napkins and small decorative items. There’s just a certain “look” that I can’t find in stores here, so that could work too and there should be options that are suitcase- and budget-friendly!

1 Like