Provence on the road trip!

HI! I’m organizing a road trip in August to Provence with my boyfriend. Do you have any advice? A must-see city or which itinerary should i take? Thank you so much :white_heart:

2 Likes

Definitely set aside a day or two for Marseille: https://sheerluxe.com/culture/travel/europe/6-reasons-why-marseille-ideal-easy-summer-escape

And there are some other ideas here: https://sheerluxe.com/culture/travel/insiders-guide-provence

1 Like

Thank you so much, this is super helpful :white_heart: have a nice day!

1 Like

You too!

Aix en Provence is a must to visit as well as Gordes, Île sur la Sorgue, Villeneuve les Avignon, Saint Rémy de Provence and les Baux de Provence… there is so much to do and visit…

2 Likes

I would highly recommend staying at Château de Fonscolome and visiting the vineyard Château La Coste.

1 Like

Lourmarin is highly recommended. A secret gem in Provence. They also have a very lovely chateau, right next to the village center.
They have two really nice hotels (from the Baumier Group) both very close to village center:
Le Moulin and Le Galiner
I promise you will not regret your stay there.

Village hopping in the Luberon (Apt, Rousillon, Lacoste, Bonnieux, Fountaine de Vaucluse) + St Remy en Provence
Make sure to check when the local outdoor market is open, sometimes they also have vintage market

2 Likes

Thank you all for there precious advices :white_heart:

1 Like

It depends very much which part of Provence you are going to. There’s Nice, Cannes and St Tropez to visit but then inland I would say you shouldn’t miss Vence or Vence St Paul or Tourrettes-sur-Loup which are all old hillside villages with fab interesting shops. Grasse is a definite MUST if you like perfume (and who doesn’t?) as it is the world’s perfume capital. You can tour some of the bigger perfumeries and I know that some also offer workshops where you learn about how a perfume is “constructed” or you can make your own.
Lonely Planet has quite a good Provence travel section on their website. We tend to hire a villa inland (Opio) and keep away from the main tourist areas. We’ve also taken the train along the coast through Monaco into Italy, had lunch and then headed back home - a day off driving!

2 Likes