Puglia recommendations

Planning a week trip to Puglia in the summer. We will be flying into Bari and need to go to Lecce so will be renting a car to get around. We want to stay in a couple of places but there is almost too much choice it is overwhelming - does anyone have any recommendations of areas they’d suggest staying in/visiting? Also would like to do a cookery class while out there, so if anyone did one of these they enjoyed then please share :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh I love Puglia!
We stayed at Borgo Egnazia https://www.borgoegnazia.com/
For days trips we went to Monopoli and Ostuni, which we loved. There are also the amazing local style houses in Alberobello which are a must-see
The Trulli of Alberobello - UNESCO World Heritage Centre.

2 Likes

I loved Puglia! We stayed outside of Monopoli in the countryside and loved visiting Ostuni and Polignano a Mare.

We had a car which was so good for exploring. I would recommend going to the beach, it is lovely which I don’t feel is spoken about a lot but be aware that the majority of the coast line (in this area) is owned by beach clubs and very private. They are affordable but it’s worth knowing as it is very closed off! You can find small areas that are open using maps.

2 Likes

Absolutely love Puglia! Spent nights in Trani (a lovely fishing town), Ostuni is a town on a hill so you can see amazing sunsets from one of the little bars facing the sea, Polignano a Mare (must visit for the beach), Otranto, and Monopoli. Alberobello is definitely worth the visit to see the Trulli houses, but lots of tourists and busses so quite rammed- probably better to drive in to see it but stay elsewhere. Martina France is also lovely. Finally, technically it falls into Basilicata region, so just next to Puglia, but Matera is one of the most incredible towns I’ve ever been to. Definitely worth the visit and try spend a night in one of the cave hotels if you have time. Have the best holiday!

2 Likes

Hi. You have to go to Gallipoli. The old town is over a bridge to a small island with winding streets full of restaurants and churches. Very beautiful.

1 Like

I recommend you to stay at ‘Il Grande Ulivo’ a villa surrounded by nature and olive groves.
It is located in Fasano, 10 minutes from the sea, 10 minutes from Locorotondo, Monopoli, 20 minutes from Alberobello and Ostuni.
I love it so so so much!

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone for the recommendations - really helpful! :heart: