Stockholm Recommendations?

I’m heading to Stockholm in March for a long weekend - any recommendations for good Scandi food and things to do including good shopping?

3 Likes

I would suggest visiting Gamla Stan - the old city of Stockholm and Uppsala. For shopping the Ahlens department stores as well as the H&M stores are a must visit.

1 Like

For restaurants, favourites are:

• Lilla Ego (book c. 1 month in advance)
  • Restaurang Triton
  • Miyakodori (request the omakase menu)
  • Babette (small plates and pizza)
  • Lisa Elmqvist (in Östermalm’s Saluhall)
  • Schmaltz Bar and Deli (for lunch)

Swedish bakeries:

• Lillebrors
  • Två Systrar (Two Sisters)
  • Green Rabbit
    (But most are excellent)

Bars - A Bar Called Gemma and Le Hibou (part of Bank Hotel) are both great.

Museums - Moderna Museet (free entry between 6-8pm on Fridays), Vasa Museet (sometimes they host jazz on Wednesday evenings as well), if with kids, Skansen (open air museum), Fotografiska (also a good restaurant on the top floor with great views of Stockholm, entry price included in the restaurant reservation), if you have time a trip to Millesgården museet in Lidingö is wonderful with amazing views.

Walks - from downtown, through Gamla Stan, across Slussen and up to Monteliusvagen (on Södermalm) also gives great views, as well as along Norr Mälarstrand on Kungsholmen.

Shopping - Biblioteksgatan for designer and Swedish brands (Totême, Malene Birger, Soft Goat etc.), NK (a Selfridges vibe) and around Mariatorget in Södermalm for vintage finds, and Nudie Jeans, A Day’s March etc. There are great interior shops on Birger Jarlsgatan and Norr Mälarstrand, as well as shops such as Svenkst Tenn and Nordiska Galleriet 1912.

3 Likes

There are some lovely suggestions in our mini guide here: https://sheerluxe.com/culture/travel/city-breaks/how-spend-weekend-stockholm

1 Like

For food I would reccomend
Gastrologik for modern Swedish
Vete-Katten for baked goods
Fabrique for brownies & other cakes
Schmaltz Bar & Delicatessen is lovely for drinks

And shopping – definitely go to the Acne Archive for discounted pieces!

H&M stores across Sweden & Norway are brill! As are the local coffee shops/cake stops.
For Stockholm specifically, it’s definitely worth planning to stay one of your nights in the old prison (which is now a converted hostel/hotel). It’s called Långholmen and is very affordable. Deliberately still in the style of the old cells so it’s very authentic. A cool experience! Hotel - Långholmen i Stockholm

The Vasa museum is of course an essential visit - such a unique building and the vasa ship itself is incredible to walk around and view from the different levels.

Paddle boarding is also good in central Stockholm as it’s such a scenic & pretty island-city despite being the capital and lots of people play on the water when it’s balmy enough.

Hope you enjoy your trip :v: