Stylish hiking (poor weather) outfit

I’m looking for recommendations for a stylish hiking outfit (if that exists!) Specifically a waterproof jacket appropriate for walking in the Scottish highlands over summer.

1 Like

I always like a Barbour X Alexa Chung jacket, which are warm, waterproof and stylish. Failing that, you can’t go wrong with all-black Sweaty Betty – I really like this jacket (Pro Light Performance Running Waterproof Jacket - black | Women's Jackets + Coats | www.sweatybetty.com) and this one (in black and tan) from Lululemon (Evergreen Full-Zip Long Jacket | Lululemon UK)

There are also loads of great hiking boots out there now – such as the Grenson Nanettes – although I have a pair of these, which are the comfiest I’ve ever worn – Women - Moab FST 2 Mid GORE-TEX® - Boots | Merrell

1 Like

I do think that exists! A good combination would be cycling shorts, an oversized hoodie, a waterproof jacket and some good boots. Some sunglasses and a logo cap will add extra style points. I really like these jackets from Rains - super cool and stylish.

2 Likes

Arc’teryx offers some of the best GORE-TEX and waterproofs and if you stick to black, you can’t go wrong. They are an investment but definitely worth it. You can always add more stylish mid-layers like oversized sweatshirts and fleeces.
https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/womens/beta-lightweight-jacket

For hiking in Scotland you need to pack for all weathers. It can be roasting at the bottom and freezing at the top and can change rapidly. I like merino tops that you can layer and although I love my rains jacket it can be sweaty. I personally feel Barbour to rigid and heavy for hiking. I prefer lots of layers so base layer, mid layer top layer and wear what suits wrather as you climb and waterproof jacket like sweaty Betty running jacket or Arc’teryx.
Take a rucksack with some layers etc etc and extra socks so can change if you get wet - best tip I ever got.
I love my Merrell trainers for hiking. Really supportive and comfortable.
For sunglasses Kyloe in the wild are amazing. The are for sport and hiking. They are the best I’ve ever used. They don’t drop down your face Weirdly the are Scottish- I know a Scottish sunglasses form- but do the job very well. Come in great colours too.