Summer Reads

I am on the hunt for some great summer beach reads. The summer is the one time I allow myself to read lighter, less intense novels, and am very open to suggestions! The books don’t necessarily need to be new - I actually love the feeling of rediscovering an old gem. Thanks in advance xx

4 Likes

I just finished Pineapple Street which would make a great beach read. It’s about an ‘old money’ family in New York and is great but very easy reading!

2 Likes

Someone recommended this to me on the weekend… I need to get involved! Sounds right up my street, thank you! x

I just finished Ariadne by Jennifer Saint. Such an easy read and a real page turner.

2 Likes

I really loved The Lido! Such a feel-good book about a journalist set in SW London (wink wink)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lido-feel-good-debut-year/dp/1409175227/ref=asc_df_1409175227/

I also love looking at the Guardian’s top book lists, this one might have some inspo!

1 Like

I’m reading You Me On Vacation and it’s a very easy page turner! Anything by Emily Henry is ideal for the beach

1 Like

If you are looking for books that are atmospheric then you can get totally lost in these:

Americanah & Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
American Dirt by JeanineCummings
Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart

2 Likes

Great shout!

I know I say it all the time, but anything by Marian Keyes is the best for holiday reading!

2 Likes

I haven’t read these yet but they are on my summer reading list:

Soldier Sailor by Claire Kilroy
Not exactly what I had in mind by Kate Brook
Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfield
Book Lovers by Emily Henry
Really Good Actually by Monice Heisey.

1 Like

I loved this one! A classic thriller!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Girls-Who-Disappeared-Claire-Douglas-ebook/dp/B09HMM2QHB

I’ve just finished Cleopatra & Frankenstein by Coco Mellors and loved it! Also The Guest List and The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley are great reads for the beach. My all-time favourite holiday book has to be Call Me By Your Name - would say its better than the movie!

2 Likes

Also loved Cleopatra & Frankenstein!

1 Like

Just finished My Name Is Lucy Barton - not a typical beach read but a great book. Also now reading Small Things Like These which, again, isn’t light but it’s easy and beautifully crafted.
Old school but I loved The Party by Elizabeth Day if you haven’t read that.
And ANYTHING by Taylor Jenkins Read

I’ve just finished The Guilty Couple which I think you’d enjoy! I also have The Club by Ellery Lloyd on my list x

1 Like

The Lido is one of my all-time favourite light reads… utterly obsessed! Maybe I’ll read it again… xx

Book Lovers has been on my list for a while, too! x

I’ve just finished The No-Show by Beth O’Leary which I think is just the sort of thing you might be looking for. You Me On Vacation is next on my list for the summer. And for a thriller, I can’t wait to pick up The Dinner Guest by B P Walter - I’ve heard great things about it! x

1 Like

I loved The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary so will give The No-Show a go! x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Summer-After-heartbreakingly-gripping/dp/0349433100/ref=asc_df_0349433100_nodl?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=570219292476&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9320018379985639838&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9072494&hvtargid=pla-1652166063531&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&dplnkId=f3a96fee-c730-4818-b3cc-20231efe1fb6

I’ve just finished reading these and loved it.