Tips for travelling to the South of France. Marseille vs Nice?

Hi,

We are looking to go to the SOF for 8 days end of August beginning of September but it’s our first time travelling to the SOF and we’re not sure on whether to fly into Nice or Marseille and which to use as our base from travelling.

We have lots of places bookmarked we would like to explore in and around both areas but we are unsure on which would be the best for a base and would love some recommendations on where to stay, places to visit and which Marseille vs Nice is the best.

Nice: Eze, Antibes, Cannes, Grasse, Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat

Marseille : Tuba, Gordes, Saignon, Lourmarin

Thanks so much,
Amy

2 Likes

I’d fly into one and out of the other, and make it a road trip along the way? It only costs about £20 more to drop off at a different location - Toulon Hyeres is a lovely small airport with Easyjet flights to Gatwick so check that as an option too

1 Like

I haven’t been to Nice, but had a brilliant time in Marseille about five years ago!

Here’s a bit of a flavour… 6 Reasons Why Marseille Is The Ideal Easy Summer Escape | SheerLuxe

1 Like

I wouldn’t spend much time in Nice but there are great places to go from Nice via train. Antibes and the surrounding areas are much more relaxing and have lovely beaches!

1 Like

I’m in the South of France right now and have rented car with Sixt. Love the idea of flying into one city and driving to the other. It is very easy to explore all the great cities on your list. You will quickly know whether you want to enjoy a drink or a meal somewhere. I’d book a couple of hotels which are centrally located so you can stay a 2-3 nights. The people are so nice and very relaxed.
Enjoy!

1 Like