Travelling to Iceland

Hey, I’m going to Iceland in a few weeks.

Does anyone have any must-see’s/things to do in February or things you’d give a miss?

Any advice really , we’re only there for 3 days so want to make the most of it!

3 Likes

Hi Emily

Iceland is FABULOUS - lucky you!

The Blue Lagoon has reopened and you need to book NOW, online, if you want to secure a slot, as it is very popular. I would recommend going on your final day, as it is on the main bus route to Keflavik airport. So you could have an hour or two in the spa, then go to catch your 'plane.

You need at least half a day in Reykjavík to visit the Hallgrimskirkja church and wander round the old town. Eating out is expensive, but some bars do a ‘Happy Hour’ for drinks. It is worth asking locals about about authentic, Icelandic places to eat and drink.

Near the old fishing harbour, you will find a new VR immersive experience, ‘Fly Over Iceland’, which looks like a great way to see all of the island from the air:

You pretty much have to do ‘The Golden Circle’ Tour, to see Thingvellir, the Geysir, waterfalls. There are LOADS of companies offering this, so do research online now and book in:

https://www.getyourguide.com/

Northern Lights tours can be a bit hit-and-miss and also very cold, so have a look at this:

Finally, I could not go to Iceland and not have an outing on a wonderful Icelandic horse. The breed is hardy, weight-carrying, good-natured and hugely important in Icelandic culture. The stables supply hard hats and often have waterproof snowsuits, which you can pull on over your clothes. You just need to wear low-heeled boots.
You can opt for a short ride and often you get hot soup or coffee and cake on your return to the stables:

3 Likes

If you’re in Reykjavik I would stop by the new Edition hotel for drinks - and if you don’t go to the Blue Lagoon, Hvammsvík Hot Springs has just opened. It’s an hour to the north of the city with eight hot springs, outdoor saunas and steam rooms, and next to the beach if you fancy a cold water dip!

2 Likes

These are amazing, thank you so much!

2 Likes

I highly recommend the Secret Lagoon for a more local experience. If you want to do an organised trip, this small group one ticks off all the Golden Circle sights and I was so impressed with the guide we had, plus you had free time, too. If you’re in Reykjavik and want a sweet treat you must go to Sandholt bakery, it’s worth the trip alone!

2 Likes

This isn’t very useful, as I haven’t been in forever, but I went three times in my 20s and think Iceland is just the most magical place – you’ll have an incredible time no matter what you do – the scenery alone is just wondrous!

2 Likes