What book is everyone spending their Christmas break with?

I’d love to know!

I always think I’m going to read loads over the holidays, but never get through more than two! That said, I have All The Light We Cannot See (obviously) ready to go, plus one or two more.

Any recommendations for books you’ve loved this year, please do send them over!

Heather x

3 Likes

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. I loved Birnam Wood so I thought I would try her first novel, which won the Booker Prize in 2013.

And currently awaiting the Fourth Wing sequel (requested from the library) - guilty pleasure!

2 Likes

I would suggest:

Sophie Cousens - This Time Next Year

Kristin Hannah - The Nightingale

Hadley Freeman - House of Glass

Benedetta Tobagi - La resistenza delle donne (The women’s resistance)

The quartet ‘Before the coffee gets cold’ - Toshikazu Kawaguchi

Ken Follett - The Key to Rebecca, Fall of Giants, Winter of the World & Edge of Eternity

Kikuko Tsumura - There is no such thing as an easy job

Currently reading Benedetta Tobagi.

2 Likes

I’ve just read and loved ‘a terrible kindness’ (Jo Browning Wroe) and ‘four winds’ (Kristin Hannah). Just about to move on to ‘go as a river’ (Shelley Read). Enjoy!

1 Like

No such thing as a ‘guilty’ pleasure! The Luminaries is on my bookshelf ready to ready, too.

Thanks, Gaby! I love both Toshikazu Kawaguchi and Kikuko Tsumura.

Keep meaning to read Hadley Freeman, so thanks for the nudge!

1 Like

Thanks for these – looking them up right now!

I’m away with three books…

first was a delicious funny and light but really well written treat - Pinapple Street, Jenny Jackson.

Now into Exciting Times, Naoise Dolan. Not overly loving it yet, it’s clever, it’s good but perhaps it’s just not gelling with me yet.

Then, a gear shift to come with Diary of a Provincial Lady, EM Delafield. Long heard to mentioned by various writters as a good book and finally going to check it out!

Other books this year… cleopatra & Frankenstein was as good as everyone says!

I’m general, I really recommend You’re Booked podcast by Daisy Buchanan if you don’t listen already. Love it, brilliant recommendations for books.
Xxx

1 Like

Am a bit late to the conversation but I read The Year of the Locust over Christmas. Definitely recommend.

The long awaited second book by Terry Hayes after I Am Pilgrim. Gripping and gritty in equal measure and provocative given our current times.

Couldn’t put Demon Copperhead down!

1 Like