What to see & do when going to Paris for the first time?

I’m going to Paris in August for a few days and have never been before!
Would love to know any must see places (other than the obvious tourist spots) as well as what to do, where to eat etc. All the recommendations much appreciated! Thanks x

3 Likes

Le Marais is definitely an area worth exploring while you’re there - especially in the evenings as it’s filled with amazing restaurants and bars!

2 Likes

Sherri did this fab new in Paris feature a few months ago:

I’ve also got this hotel group on my radar for my next trip:

2 Likes

I’ve stayed in a couple of the Touriste hotels they’re so lovely! I want to try their Hotel Les Deux Gares next.

I second Le Marais @alexaeveraert – great for vintage shops!

What kind of restaurants are you into? Coco is so much fun at night as it has live music, but not a traditional French menu. I love Cafe Marly for lunch, try and sit outside for the view of the Louvre. Cafe de Flore or Les Deux Magots I think are the kind of places you have to do once for breakfast or a coffee! Or Carette I know people rave about for the hot chocolate although I think there tends to be a queue. Last month I went to Folderol, a really cool natural wine bar which also serves dreamy ice cream. I still have so many places on my list to try!

1 Like

I really really recommend this book whether you are a first-timer to Paris or not - although it’s a bit old now and a few of the recommendations are out of date, it offers walks around neighbourhoods and recommends things to see / places to eat & drink along the way. You also end up seeing/discovering much more and it helps you get to know different areas of the city without feeling like a tourist. Enjoy!

2 Likes

A trip to Pere Lachaise cemetery is always worthwhile. Lots of graves to visit including Michel Ney, Frédéric Chopin, Émile Waldteufel, Édith Piaf, Marcel Proust, Georges Méliès, Marcel Marceau, Olivia de Havilland, Sarah Bernhardt, Oscar Wilde, J. R. D. Tata, Gertrude Stein, Jim Morrison and Sir Richard Wallace.

Le Relais De La Butte is one of my favourite restaurants/cafes in Paris. Its just behind the Sacre Coeur so it has a great view and theres often live music so theres a really great atmos.