Where to stay just outside Cape Town

Hi there, I’m going to Cape Town in December for Xmas with my parents, sister and her two kids and husband. I’ve been before and spent time in various parts of the western cape, but travelled around.

We want to locate somewhere just outside the city that’s easy for getting into it, and other areas, is safe of course and has things in the local area/a community etc. such as a few shops and restaurants.

Camps Bay is an obvious but very expensive to rent a house in December. Any tips? Constantia? Hours Bay? Any recommendations greatfully received xxxx

1 Like

Let me ask my friend from Cape Town – I’ll get back to you! x

1 Like

Amazing thank you, although we had to book and went for a house in between Constantia and Houts Bay.
Any tips for those areas (I have been briefly to Constantia to a vineyard not Houts Bay) and Cape Town in Xmas would be amazing!

Thank you so very much x

Have a look at Constanta, Scarborough and Kommetjie … a little more value for money and not far to travel into the City :white_heart:

1 Like

Thanks! Yes we have now booked around Constantia/Houts Bay borders. Any tips anyone has would be great for those areas and in general. Esp. at Christmas in Cape Town / Western Cape xx

Hi Sam

I wrote CT recs on another thread a few months ago:

I grew up in Camps Bay in Cape Town, which is the best spot- views of the mountains, and so close to the sea.

Recommendations:

Hike up Lion’s Head. Early morning is the best time, as otherwise you’ll be in direct sunlight the whole way. Plus the sunrise is incredible from up there, and you’ll get 360 degree views of Cape Town. There are two routes when you get nearer the top- the longer route, or the one where you have to do a spot of rock climbing (there are metal rods drilled into the rocks to stand on and pull yourself up). Preferably do the latter route as it’s more fun (and not as daunting as it seems)! You’ll pass loads of people on the route so you can ask if you’re not sure, but it will be signposted. Start the route from signal hill road as this is the most common route. If you’re getting an Uber, you’ll see a cluster of cars and a security hut. Begin here.

Cable Car up Table Mountain. You can hike but it takes a couple of hours and very steep and winding (lots of back and forth). You can take a picnic up to the top of table mountain, and it’s really lovely to go for sunset. Check the weather as they close the cablecar with the slightest bit of wind.

Boulders beach is in Simon’s town. You can pay to go the beach and swim with penguins which is amazing. The water is cold!

Shark cage diving. There are a lot of companies that do this. I can’t remember the company that I did it with, but a google should point you in the right direction.

Drive along Chapman’s Peak for the most incredible views and a backdrop of Hout Bay- fab photo opportunities.

Go for a walk along Sea Point Promenade. This place is really busy in the evenings with cyclists, joggers, dogs etc. Great vibe.

You can go for a morning or evening canoe along the Atlantic seaboard starting from Mouille Point. Great to spot some ocean life. I saw a sun fish when I went, and dolphins and seals. Company is called Kaskazi Kayaks.

Beaches

Best beaches are Camps Bay, Clifton 3rd and 4th. The water is cold so you won’t be having any long, leisurely swims!

Weekend food markets

Biscuit Mill in Salt river on a Saturday is the best. There’s also the oranjezicht market at the waterfront, and the Hout Bay Market at the harbour.

Bars

Caprice in Camps Bay is an institution. Go on a Sunday if you’re looking for a busy bar with chilled djs. There’s generally a queue up the road but go late afternoon if you want to go straight in. If the weather’s good, the place will be busy. Otherwise go any other time for food and drinks.

The Silo Hotel has great views.

The Planet Bar at The Mount Nelson is amazing- sit outside on the patio.

Food

La Colombe in Constantia for the tasting menu (need to book)!

The Pot Luck Club

Jarryd’s in Sea Point.

The Hussar Grill. They have a few restaurants but I think the one in Camps Bay is my favourite- for the best steaks.

Willoughby’s has the best sushi- not the best ambience as it’s in the Waterfront mall, but the sushi is worth it.

Kloof Street House

Villa 47 three floors, with three different menus.

Wine Farms

There are so many! In Constantia (a suburb in Cape Town) there are Eagle’s Nest, Beau Constantia (eat at the Chef’s Warehouse! Need to book), and Constantia Glen.

Otherwise Franschhoek is great- do the Wine Tram.

You’re going to have the best time! Enjoy!

1 Like