South Africa Cape Town recommendations

Hi! We’re heading to Cape Town for our honeymoon in December. We’re having 3 nights in Franschloek and then 5 nights western cape before safari. Any recommendations welcome!!!

2 Likes

I went to SA a few years ago - we only spent a day in Franschloek (wish it could have been longer!) but we had the most incredible meal at La Petite Ferme. I still think about the food/views! https://lapetiteferme.co.za/

In terms of vineyards, Haute Cabriere is also stunning and the wine far too drinkable… https://cabriere.co.za/

x

1 Like

There are some fun SA and Cape Town recommendations in this thread from last autumn:

https://community.sheerluxe.com/t/south-africa-recommendations/382

1 Like

I’ve just come back from South Africa (sounds like we did a v similar trip to you) and it was amazing.

Not sure if you’ve booked accommodation yet but in Cape Town we stayed in Camps Bay which was great - stunning views / sunsets with a lovely beach but very accessible to the rest of the city. We got Uber Blacks everywhere.

We had incredible meals at The Codfather, Belly of the Beast, Pot Luck Club and Kloof Street House.

We hiked Lions Head which had amazing views but was actually quite challenging - I’d do the Platterklip Gorge up Table Mountain instead. V&A Waterfront is worth seeing but quite touristy.

We did a day of wine tasting round Constantia and had lunch at La Colombe which was great but can probably skip if you’re also doing Franschhoek.

In Franschhoek we stayed at Maison Cabriere which was a small but lovely boutique hotel 5 mins walk from the wine tram / central area with cafes, restaurants, shops etc. Highly recommend.

You’ve got to do the Wine Tram - it was so fun and so convenient. We booked in advance and did two days (Orange Line and Blue Line), their website is really comprehensive. Babylonstoren is a must do - we stopped there and did a garden tour (fascinating) then went back the following night for dinner at the Bakery which was great. For our second wine tram day we pre-booked a picnic lunch at Mont Rochelle which was so lovely and has great views over Franschhoek.

We also had dinner at La Petite Colombe which was amazing - book well in advance.

In Western Cape we stayed 1 night in Swellendam (to break up the journey) and 3 nights in Plettenberg Bay then used that as a base to hike / explore the area. The Robberg Peninsula hike is incredible and Knysna is also stunning (The Heads) - lunch at Freshline Fisheries is a must! We stayed at Barringtons which is a really buzzy microbrewery / restaurant with a small hotel attached and was great - even if you don’t stay would recommend for dinner.

If you’re planning to hire a car and drive around it’s super easy but recommend you get an SUV as the smaller roads in Western Cape (which have the best views) are largely unpaved.

2 Likes

Some great recommendations- thank you so much :blush:

Ah you’re going to have the best time!

I grew up in Camps Bay in Cape Town, which is the best spot- views of the mountains, and so close to the sea.

Recommendations:

Hike up Lion’s Head. Early morning is the best time, as otherwise you’ll be in direct sunlight the whole way. Plus the sunrise is incredible from up there, and you’ll get 360 degree views of Cape Town. There are two routes when you get nearer the top- the longer route, or the one where you have to do a spot of rock climbing (there are metal rods drilled into the rocks to stand on and pull yourself up). Preferably do the latter route as it’s more fun (and not as daunting as it seems)! You’ll pass loads of people on the route so you can ask if you’re not sure, but it will be signposted. Start the route from signal hill road as this is the most common route. If you’re getting an Uber, you’ll see a cluster of cars and a security hut. Begin here.

Cable Car up Table Mountain. You can hike but it takes a couple of hours and very steep and winding (lots of back and forth). You can take a picnic up to the top of table mountain, and it’s really lovely to go for sunset. Check the weather as they close the cablecar with the slightest bit of wind.

Boulders beach is in Simon’s town. You can pay to go the beach and swim with penguins which is amazing. The water is cold!

Shark cage diving. There are a lot of companies that do this. I can’t remember the company that I did it with, but a google should point you in the right direction.

Drive along Chapman’s Peak for the most incredible views and a backdrop of Hout Bay- fab photo opportunities.

Go for a walk along Sea Point Promenade. This place is really busy in the evenings with cyclists, joggers, dogs etc. Great vibe.

You can go for a morning or evening canoe along the Atlantic seaboard starting from Mouille Point. Great to spot some ocean life. I saw a sun fish when I went, and dolphins and seals. Company is called Kaskazi Kayaks.

Beaches

Best beaches are Camps Bay, Clifton 3rd and 4th. The water is cold so you won’t be having any long, leisurely swims!

Weekend food markets

Biscuit Mill in Salt river on a Saturday is the best. There’s also the oranjezicht market at the waterfront, and the Hout Bay Market at the harbour.

Bars

Caprice in Camps Bay is an institution. Go on a Sunday if you’re looking for a busy bar with chilled djs. There’s generally a queue up the road but go late afternoon if you want to go straight in. If the weather’s good, the place will be busy. Otherwise go any other time for food and drinks.

The Silo Hotel has great views.

The Planet Bar at The Mount Nelson is amazing- sit outside on the patio.

Food

La Colombe in Constantia for the tasting menu (need to book)!

The Pot Luck Club

Jarryd’s in Sea Point.

The Hussar Grill. They have a few restaurants but I think the one in Camps Bay is my favourite- for the best steaks.

Willoughby’s has the best sushi- not the best ambience as it’s in the Waterfront mall, but the sushi is worth it.

Kloof Street House

Villa 47 three floors, with three different menus.

Wine Farms

There are so many! In Constantia (a suburb in Cape Town) there are Eagle’s Nest, Beau Constantia (eat at the Chef’s Warehouse! Need to book), and Constantia Glen.

Otherwise Franschhoek is great- do the Wine Tram.

Have the best Honeymoon- you’re going to love it!!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is so helpful!!

1 Like