Crime book recs

I have just started reading, I am dyslexic so was always reluctant to read.
I have just finished my second book (someone’s lying by Shari Lepena) and want some good crime books to read over the christmas break. Any good recs?

3 Likes

I really like Ian Moore’s detective series (quanit and cosy, without being scary or gory) which are set in France. Death and Croissants was gripping – but really funny!

3 Likes

Oh I love the Thursday murder club for a light hearted murder mystery with some great laughs, for a Agatha Christie feel I recomment Tom Hindle’s books (first one is this one

4 Likes

Georges Simeon - Maigret

John Grisham - The Firm, The Pelican Brief, A Time to Kill, The Runaway Jury

Sidney Sheldon - Bloodline, Rage of Angels, Tell me your dreams, Nothing Lasts forever, The Stars Shine Down, Doomsday Conspiracy

Lisa Scottoline - Moment of Truth

Ken Follett - The Third Twin, A Dangerous Fortune

Any of Andrea Camilleri’s Inspector Montalbano series

Lucy Foley - The Guest List

1 Like

I love a good crime book!

Few of my faves are below x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Patient-Alex-Michaelides/dp/1409181634

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharp-Objects-Gillian-Flynn/dp/0307341550

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-Reese-Witherspoon-Book-Pick/dp/1529039576/ref=asc_df_1529039576/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=606772828310&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=814673147426305020&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045894&hvtargid=pla-2070532219432&psc=1&mcid=bad8b767505b3f4b8dffb67940a1a77f&th=1&psc=1

1 Like

I recently discovered Bella Ellis series ´the Brontë sisters mysteries’ . Light read and entertaining.

Anything by Lisa Jewell. Think you’ll like!

You should definitely try How to kill your family from Bella Mackie. It’s a light crime book but funny and a bit dark.

1 Like

I can’t look past Grisham for the crime thrillers and you already have some great recs in the posts above. I would add The Broker to it…I recall being immersed in it and even picked up some Italian…molto bene!

Anything by Sharon Bolton (some of these are the best i’ve ever read!!) or the DD Warren Case Files by Lisa Gardner. I did like Chris Carter too but he’s veryyy dark and not easy reads so I took a step back.

The Dry by Jane Harper, and and Scrublands by Chris Hammer. Great Aussie crime fiction.

I can’t recommend Michael Connelly and Linwood Barclay enough. If you go for Michael Connelly, make sure you read them in order as the stories unfold and off-shoots like the Lincoln Lawyer are connected. Hope you enjoy!
I’ll definitely be reading some of the suggestions above xx

I have worked my way through the entire series of books by Elly Griffith which starts with Crossing Places. There is crime, archeology, mystique, history and geography all set in beautiful Norfolk landscape. Some compelling characters and relationships which develop during the series (and each book). Can’t recommend enough.

2 Likes

Conrad Jones is a brilliant author. Murder, mystery, thriller, tense, twisting reads. I highly recommend. And well done you!

1 Like

I am going to read this over the holidays – it’s meant to be excellent:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thread-Violence-Story-Invention-Murder/dp/1783787708

Steve Cavanagh’s Eddie Flynn series are good. Definitely recommend Fifty Fifty as the first one to try.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, I am now on the second to last book, and I’m really sad the series is going to end!

1 Like

I think she might write some more….saw her at a book event and I think she was potentially open to it

1 Like

Well done on starting to read. You have so much to look forward to! Some of my favourite crime writers are:

Stieg larsson - three books in the millennium series

Damien Boyd’s DI Nixon series (best to read in sequence)

Jane Casey: Maeve Kerrigan series ( they’re funny too!)

Lee child

Ann Cleeves

Patricia Cornwall

Lucy Foley

Tana French

Lara Kepler

Lynda la plante

Jo nesbo

Karin slaughter

Enjoy.

I love a thriller! A few of my favourites and not too heavy going are Woman In The Window, The Girlfriend and Into The Water