The SL Community Book Club: Lessons In Chemistry... discuss!

I had to google about the TV series! I won’t be watching as I don’t have Apple TV but do think Brie Larson is a good casting as Elizabeth Zott.

I did! It is a bit sad though how many themes are still relevant 60 years on though - makes me question how I/we can channel my/our inner Elizabeth Zott and affect some positive changes!

Totally agree - so engaging but also an easy read due to it’s brilliant writing and characters.

I keep needing to find ways to channel my inner Elizabeth Zott! She is a legend!

I loved this book! It was the first fiction book I’ve read in about 6 months and I didn’t want it to end. All the female characters were formidable - Harriet, Mad, Avery, even Ms Frask, but especially the force to be reckoned with of Elizabeth Zott. Her unwaivering values and beliefs are inspirational and created a bit of a mirror for myself and when maybe I’ve backed down on things because that felt easier rather than sticking with what I knew to be the right thing.

I loved the themes and sometimes satirical/black humour nature of shining the light of opinions of the time (page 364/365 I’m talking about you!) - and also a little saddened that although huge progress has been made in many areas, the fact that some of these underlying themes of female oppression, misogyny and societal expectations/norms are still relevant today - it did make me question how I could channel my own Elizabeth Zott!

Personally though, my absolute favourite character was Six-Thirty. The empathy I felt for this companion, the smiles I had with the increasing learnt words and a glimpse into a well-crafted look into his perspective and world was beautifully done.

I give this book 10/10 all round - an absolute gem which I will be sharing and recommending to friends!

I have a mad love and hate relationship with this book! While I couldn’t stand Elizabeth’s black-and-whiteness, her lack of social diplomacy and air of ‘I don’t care’-ness (is she perhaps, on the autistic spectrum?), this book was quite a wild ride for me!! I was angry, and then heart broken, like my heart was crippling esp. for Calvin and Six Thirty! And the ending was SO. Satisfying. Screw you, Donatti. But most importantly, I LOVE that the author linked everything together - no stones left unturned, and everything and everyone evolved brilliantly. None of the lingering ‘wait, so what happened to blablabla’ I tend to have.

4.7/5! Can’t wait for the next book recommendation! xx

2 Likes

Amazing – glad you enjoyed it!

It’s becoming a series – can’t wait to see what they do with it!

Fab score! And great – the next book we’re doing is EXCELLENT! Excited to announce it.

The first Book Club podcast is now live!

You’ve been reading & commenting & now the Book Club podcast is live…

Listen to it here

Heather & Georgina are joined by special guest Lauren Bravo, award-winning journalist & author of Preloved, to discuss all things Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, including reader reviews on the SL Community.

Watch it here

We also announced the next book on the Book Club: The List by Yomi Adegoke

Click here to order the book.

There are now six weeks to read it. Once you’ve finished reading, share your thoughts & reviews in the new Book Club thread with other readers.

In September, Heather & Georgina will be joined by Yomi herself to discuss her instant bestseller & answer all your questions.

If you’ve already read the book, start commenting now…

1 Like

I’ve been recommended this by several people now, so will read!

1 Like