The SL Community Book Club: Lessons In Chemistry... discuss!

Looking forward to reading this, love a good story to get lost in​:books::thought_balloon:

Loved this booked - definetely the best read of the year! Gave it to my Mum and She loved it too!

1 Like

I LOVE this book - it really shows the struggle women went through (and still do!) but Elizabeth is such an inspiration as someone who had a single mum then is now juggling the working mum life herself x

1 Like

Hi everyone - it’s Georgina from SheerLuxe here.

We are SO excited about the SheerLuxe Book Club and it sounds like many of you are too. Please keep telling us what you loved (or didn’t!) about the book, if you’ve already read it, as we’d love to include your thoughts and views. How does Elizabeth inspire you? What do you think of the book’s romance? Which characters cause the most damage? And Six-Thirty… possibly best commentator in a book ever?

Happy reading… xx

2 Likes

I loved this book. It highlighted how difficult it was to be a woman in the 1960s. Things have changed a lot since then in some respects but not in others. I laughed so much throughout the book and also cried at one point. The characters were amazingly real. The only concern I had was when you could “hear” the dog’s thoughts but it worked! It’s one of my favourite books of all time now. I’m looking forward to reading the next suggested book club book. It’s the best way to read a variety of books you might not otherwise.

1 Like

I quite enjoyed reading Lessons in Chemistry. I loved Elizabeth’s spirit and intellect. Her feminism was inspiring. The book is pacey and well written, never dry.
As long as we support each other we can do anything.

I hope we get to see Elizabeth Zott again in another adventure

2 Likes

Can’t wait to take part in this! So long overdue! Well done Sheer Luxe team! :raised_hands:t2:

woo! have had a copy of this sitting on my desk so will make sure I read it to join in x

This was on my reading list already - so excited to read and join discussions x

This is my first time joining a book club. Book is ordered. I look forward to be part of the discussion😊

Everyone who has read this book has loved it. We could all do with being a little more Elizabeth Zott! Given recent work place stories it sometimes feels as though some work places will never be ready for women or minorities. It’s admirable how Elizabeth Zott stood her ground in her knowledge and research (and her drive/ambition) - just like the scientists/mathematicians in Hidden Figures.

What I’d like to know is, as your average humanities graduate, what are the chemistry themes throughout the story that I’m likely to have missed/not understood. The things that would have amused or impressed chemists/scientists.

It’s changed the way I think about a pencil - such a powerful thing!

Good luck with the bookclub.

1 Like

Just ordered my book, can’t wait to read it :grin::grin: just need to finished my other 2 first :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

I was just on holiday for a week and read it so quickly! Loved it and can’t wait to discuss it on the podcast!

Delighted that sheer luxe is starting a book club! Read lessons in chemistry a while back - not for me and still don’t get all the love and hype for it! Although I did love the dog!

1 Like

Just starting reading it!

1 Like

Such an amazing book! The message is clear, the characters vivid. I cried, I gasped, I felt annoyed. The hardships women went through. Urgh. But will and determination changes things. Great book recommendation, can’t wait for the next one.

1 Like

Having read the front cover comments, by celebrity and experts, I had high hopes.
Chapter 1 was slow, and I couldn’t understand all the hype, BUT by chapter 3 I was hooked, and it got better and better.
It is SO different.
Would make a fantastic film !

1 Like

A really interesting read. I found the character writing to be really engaging and enjoyed reading about each of them. The theme of the story was very well done and made me equal parts angry and inspired, dependent on the circumstance. So, for that reason, I can see why it has been such a popular book. However, for me at least, the storyline was a bit lacking and I wasn’t gripped.

1 Like

Absolutely loved this book. My favourite character was Six-Thirty the dog!
Eminem’s done in a mature quiet way.

1 Like

Six-Thirty was my favourite character!